#4 | Quitting a Fashion Career to Travel the World on a Budget and in Style with Alexandra Jimenez of Travel Fashion Girl
At the age of 13 Alexandra Jimenez knew she wanted to own a chain of retail fashion stores around the country. While growing up she was entrepreneurial as hell which also got her into trouble with the dean of an all-girl Catholic high-school.
After a devastating, soul-crushing situation in her fashion career, she had quit her job and went traveling for 3 months around the world. These three months have changed the whole trajectory of her life leading to her traveling the world on a budget for the next eight years and ultimately creating Travel Fashion Girl to be her lifestyle business – the #1 blog for female travelers with over 600,000 women visit the site every month to get information on how to travel in style.
This is one of the most fascinating conversations about traveling the world before Ubers, Airbnbs, Google Maps and even Lonely Planet.
Quotes from this episode:
“What makes women special is that we have the unique ability to be everything and everyone. There are things we experience that men don’t. Men and women are inherently different.”
“I don’t measure monetary success, even though I’ve been financially successful. Success is more in the sense of accomplishing the things I set my mind to, whether it’s business, travel or anything else.”
Tools & Resources Mentioned
- Google Docs – Get access to files anywhere through secure cloud storage and file backup for your photos, videos, files and more.
- Skype – Free calls to friends and family.
- Quicktime – Quicktime is a free and popular video player with a small and attractive interface that plays clips in almost every movie format and is the only player that will work with some exclusive Apple formats.
- Loom – Quick Videos, Faster than Typing. 10 min Video Recorder: Screen, Webcam and Mic – Chrome Web Store.
Websites to Follow
- Whowhatwear.com – Celebrity Style and Fashion Trend Coverage. Get the latest and greatest celebrity style, runway trends, and shopping suggestions from the fashion and beauty experts at WhoWhatWear!
- Refinery29.com – Refinery29 is a modern woman’s destination for how to live a stylish, well-rounded life. Read on for breaking entertainment news, fashion tips, health, and more.
- “The Alchemist” by Paulo Coelho – The Alchemist has established itself as a modern classic, universally admired. Paulo Coelho’s masterpiece tells the magical story of Santiago, an Andalusian shepherd boy who yearns to travel in search of a worldly treasure as extravagant as any ever found. The story of the treasures Santiago finds along the way teaches us, as only a few stories can, about the essential wisdom of listening to our hearts, learning to read the omens strewn along life’s path, and, above all, following our dreams.
- “The Celestine Profecy” by James Redfield – The Celestine Prophecy is a compelling story of intrique, suspense and revelation. An ancient manuscript has been found amid ruins in Peru. It reveals nine key insights that are critical to the evolution of the human race. It contains secrets that are changing our world – and it tells you how to make connections between the events happening in your own life right now. The Celestine Prophecy is a work that has come to light at a time when the world deeply needs to hear its words. It tells a gripping story of adventure and discovery, but it is also a guidebook that has the power to crystallize your perceptions of why you are where you are in life – and to direct your steps with a new energy and optimism as you head into tomorrow.
- “Traction” by Gino Wickman – You’ll learn the secrets of strengthening the six key components of your business. You’ll discover simple yet powerful ways to run your company that will give you and your leadership team more focus, more growth, and more enjoyment. Successful companies are applying Traction every day to run profitable, frustration-free businesses – and you can too.
- Alex’s absolute favorite and best resource “Travel Wardrobe Essentials eBook” – It will show you how to choose the right clothes for travel so they can start packing smarter and start packing less.