#12 | A Robot in a Female Body Rediscovering Childhood Passions with Amanda Cook of Wellpreneur
Crying on the train back from work, Amanda realized how deeply unhappy she was at her job and how “wasting” her precious creative hours on a mechanical job was killing her softly. While moving countries from US to Paris to London and then Hong Kong, she had found Wellpreneur – a successful online business teaching wellness entrepreneurs digital marketing and business.
“I resisted the idea of femininity. I always saw the negative side of it and it’s what shut down that side of myself. I tried to do the more masculine things: self-sufficient, super strong, achieve, achieve, achieve. But trying to be a guy doesn’t work.”
In this podcast episode, Amanda tells us her story of being a “robot” for more than 10 years disconnected from her feminine nature. She used to take the birth control pills for years so when a girlfriend asked her whether she missed “feeling the hormones,” Amanda had no idea what that meant.
Amanda has now found the calling that is aligned with who she is and what she wants to do. And according to her, pushing like a man is not the way to do it.
“The moment you realize you don’t have to be a guy, you have to carve out space for yourself. When you feel like things are not working, don’t fill in your time with plenty, useless stuff, but make space for your inner voice.”
A digital storyteller, wellpreneur, writer, and podcast host – she had recently rediscovered her passion for herbal medicine, traditional healing, and ancestral wisdom.
“There is so much wisdom and usefulness in the skills [making things from plants around us.] It’s connecting to our ancestors and the deep inner wisdom we all have within us. What I call ‘racing the roots of natural health and beauty.'”
Tools & Resources Mentioned
- Evernote – Organize your work and declutter your life. With Evernote on your desktop and mobile devices, your notes are always with you and always in sync.
- Acuity Scheduling – All you need to do is show up at the right time. Acuity Scheduling is your online assistant working 24/7 to fill your schedule.
- Wild Wood Tarot – Enter the Wildwood, and take a mystical journey rich in shamanic wisdom and forest lore. Inspired by the mythology of pre-Celtic Europe, the pack of 78 exquisite cards and the accompanying book guide you back to a time of ancestral wisdom and Earth mysteries. In the Wildwood, our partnership with archetypal characters and magical creatures is as natural as breathing. Explore the oracle of the Druids, voted #3 Tarot deck of 2011.
• Google play
Recommended Tarot Card Decks
- “The Enchanted Map” (For Beginners) – The Enchanted Map Oracle Cards were created in order to empower you to understand the story of your fate, destiny, and free will; and allow you to chart a course to live a life of deep purpose, true prosperity, and vibrant love. Step into the Enchanted Map . . . and watch the magic come alive!
- “The Wild Wood Tarot” – Look to the heart of a primeval forest where deep ancestral wisdom lies to help make sense of your world today. Based on seasonal rhythms and ancient festivals, The Wildwood Tarot gift set draws inspiration from pre-Celtic mythology and shamanic mysteries. This stunning new tarot card deck introduces us to classic forest archetypes— including the Green Man and Woman, Archer, and Blasted Oak–and explains how to use them as a meditation system, divinatory oracle, or reference. Will Worthington’s powerful pagan images connect us with a long-lost world that can help us make sense of our own. So step back in time and you’ll better understand where your life’s path may lead.
Mindfulness & Creativity Recommendation
- “Morning Pages” by Julia Cameron – Morning Pages are three pages of longhand stream of consciousness writing, done first thing in the morning. *There is no wrong way to do Morning Pages – they are not high art. They are not even “writing.” They are about anything and everything that crosses your mind– and they are for your eyes only. Morning Pages provoke, clarify, comfort, cajole, prioritize and synchronize the day at hand. Do not over-think Morning Pages: just put three pages of anything on the page…and then do three more pages tomorrow.
People/Blogs to Follow
- Elizabeth Gilbert on Facebook – Elizabeth Gilbert is the author of seven books of fiction and non-fiction—most famously her memoir “Eat. Pray. Love.”
- Susannah Conway – An author, photographer and teacher who’s been sharing her heart online for over a decade. She helps people trust, know and express themselves by better sharing the tools that helped her heal her own heart and live a self-directed life.
- ”Big Magic” by Elizabeth Gilbert – This beloved author digs deep into her own generative process to share her wisdom and unique perspective about creativity. With profound empathy and radiant generosity, she offers potent insights into the mysterious nature of inspiration. She asks us to embrace our curiosity and let go of needless suffering. She shows us how to tackle what we most love, and how to face down what we most fear. She discusses the attitudes, approaches, and habits we need in order to live our most creative lives.
- “The Big Leap” by Gay Hendricks – The New York Times bestselling author of Five Wishes, demonstrates how to eliminate the barriers to success by overcoming false fears and beliefs. Fans of Wayne Dyer, Eckhart Tolle, Marianne Williamson, and The Secret will find useful, effective tips for breaking down the walls to a better life in The Big Leap.
- “Herbal Recipes For Vibrant Health” by Rosemary Gladstar – Promotes vibrant health and radiant beauty, to soothe everyday ailments, and ease persistent stress with these simple, natural cures for everything from dry skin and infant colic to cold symptoms and insomnia. Renowned herbalist Rosemary Gladstar provides 175 proven therapies and herbal remedies that are easy to prepare and safe enough for children. Offering a potent and effective alternative to commercial pharmaceuticals, Gladstar will inspire you to nurture yourself and those you love with nature’s healing herbs.
- “Dr. Chase’s Recipes or Information for Everybody” by Alvin Wood Chase – An invaluable collection of about eight hundred practical recipes, for merchants, grocers, saloon-keepers, physicians, druggists, tanners, shoemakers, harness makers, painters, jewelers, blacksmiths, tinners, gunsmiths, farriers, barbers, bakers, dyers, renovators, farmers, and families generally: to which have been added a rational treatment of pleurisy, inflammation of the lungs, and other inflammatory diseases, and also for general female debility and irregularities: all arranged in their appropriate departments.
Amanda’s Morning Routine
• A cup of tea
• “Morning pages” – writing 3 pages (most importantly – freehand)
• Pull a tarot card (message for the day) – What does it mean to you?
• Make coffee (meditatively, mindfully)
• Take a shower
• Have breakfast
- Download the first chapter of Amanda’s book “Wellpreneur: The Ultimate Guide for Wellness Entrepreneurs to Nail Your Niche and Find Clients Online.” for FREE!