#41 | From Actress to Researcher – The Ultimate Guide to Starting Over with Brittany Hoopes
About This Episode
Ever since she was three years old, being an actress was her only dream. With support from her parents, friends and the community, she went to NYU to study acting.
However, something was not right. Brittany realized that acting was not her dream. What was it then? Who was she without her pursuit? Without her identity? That moment of clarity came in a dirty New York City subway accompanied with a urine smell.
“You have to get out of your logical brain, your mind, your thinking state, and do. You have to try. And more than anything, you have to promise yourself you won’t settle.”
Most of us dream about a life that is free from the confines of the 9 to 5 workday. This episode’s guest left a career as an actress to work as a qualitative researcher. It sounds crazy, to give up a life of complete artistic freedom to be “normal,” but let’s give her a chance, shall we?
Since she left acting, Brittany has worked to find her purpose. Now, she helps other women separate themselves from their career-driven identities and expectations. Her new mission is helping them become who they were meant to be through healthy choices and action.
“Femininity is not having to hide. ”
In this episode, Brittany will share her tips for those of us who wish to transition from the life we are living to the life we want to be living. This can be hard, especially if what we are leaving behind is something that we are good at, something that our entire identity is wrapped around. Her journey from actress to researcher was not without its bumps. But Brittany kept trying, and hopefully, she will inspire the rest of us to do the same!
“My life and my time on this earth was more important than the toxicity and unhappiness I was feeling.”
How to Embrace Your Feminine Power When Crushing Goals with Anna Rova – Interview with Brittany’s Podcast Soultiply
Tools & Resources Mentioned
- Headspace – Headspace is a digital service that provides guided meditation sessions and mindfulness training. Its content can be accessed online, or via their mobile apps.
- Shine – Shine sends you free daily text messages with motivational quotes, positive affirmations and actions you can take every morning.
- Happy Scale – Happy Scale smooths out your daily scale weights so you can get insightful predictions about your weight loss rate when you’ll hit your goals.
- Girl’s Girls – The flagship podcast from Curvy Girl Media brings together Brittany Gibbons and friends to talk about fashion, relationships, sex, parenting, and our bodies. Cool? As long as you’re here, pull out your wine glass and stay a while.
- Beautiful/Anonymous – 1 phone call. 1 hour. No names. No holds barred. That’s the premise behind Beautiful Stories from Anonymous People, hosted by comedian Chris Gethard. Every week, Chris opens the phone line to one anonymous caller, and he can’t hang up first, no matter what. From shocking confessions and family secrets to philosophical discussions and shameless self-promotion, anything can and will happen!
- Daring Greatly by Brene Brown – Daring Greatly is not about winning or losing. It’s about courage. In a world where “never enough” dominates and feeling afraid has become second nature, vulnerability is subversive. Uncomfortable. It’s even a little dangerous at times. And, without question, putting ourselves out there means there’s a far greater risk of getting criticized or feeling hurt. Daring Greatly is a practice and a powerful new vision for letting ourselves be seen.
- Maybe It’s You by Lauren Handel Zander- In Maybe It’s You, life coach Lauren Handel Zander walks readers through the innovative step-by-step process that has transformed the lives of tens of thousands of her clients, and explains how anyone can achieve amazing things when we stop lying and finally start keeping the promises we make to ourselves. Whether readers want to find love, succeed at work, fix a fractured relationship, or lose weight, Zander’s method will offer a road map to finally get there.
- The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho- Combining magic, mysticism, wisdom and wonder into an inspiring tale of self-discovery, The Alchemist has become a modern classic, selling millions of copies around the world and transforming the lives of countless readers across generations.