#40 | Earning Passive Income as an Artist While Traveling the World with Cat Coquillette
About This Episode
The days of the starving artists are gone. At least they’re gone for Cat Coquillette from Kansas City, a location independent artist & designer making a living traveling the world and producing incredible digital art and illustrations online. Cat’s artwork is most known for its bright pops of color, vibrant typography, and a blend of hand-painted brushwork and clean vector illustrations.
“I’m able to fully support myself through artwork and thrive. I never thought it would get to that point. It has been a really great accomplishment.”
She partners with a variety of brands that transform her paintings into best-selling products using a variety of mediums including watercolor, metallics, acrylic gouache, ink & pen and more. Her work has been featured by celebrities including Hilary Duff, Khloe Kardashian, Lucy Hale, Sarah Michelle Gellar, and Jessica Simpson – all seen showcasing her bright, whimsical style.
“I could do more money by working 40+ hours a week, but I don’t aim to max it out. I want to sustain a lifestyle that I love. I’m more feminine in that aspect.”
Cat’s favorite animals are river otters, and she collects animal skulls, teeth, and taxidermies. She has a unique blend of incredibly creative skills, online content creation teaching other artists how to sell their art online, and is a savvy businesswoman.
“I work to live, not the other way around.”
In this episode, she shares her journey of being encouraged to pursue art since childhood, working for an agency and then working for herself earning passive income while being location independent.
Enjoy a free mobile wallpaper “Little & Fierce” PLUS a collection of 30 of Cat’s favorite art prints (worth $600)
Cat’s course on Skillshare: A Step-by-Step Guide to Art Licensing: Sell Your First Piece of Artwork Online to get two months free
Cat’s course on Skillshare: Modern Watercolor Techniques: Explore Skills to Create On-Trend Paintings to get two months free
Shop Cat’s art prints, tote bags, iPhone Cases, pillows and much more
Tools & Resources Mentioned
- Adobe Creative Cloud Suite – Creative Cloud gives you the entire collection of Adobe desktop and mobile apps, from essentials like Photoshop CC to next generation tools like Adobe XD CC. You also get built-in templates to jump-start your designs and step-by-step tutorials to sharpen your skills and get up to speed quickly. It’s everything you need to create, collaborate, and get inspired.
- VSCO – Create, shoot and edit your images with our superior mobile presets, film-inspired presets, and advanced camera controls.
- Society6.com – Collect gallery quality Art Prints and other products by thousands of Society6 artists from around the world.
- Casetify.com – Making the most beautiful yet protective phone cases and tech accessories.
- Redbubble.com – Over 400k creatives worldwide making things like shirts, stickers, phone cases, and pillows weirdly meaningful. Find your thing or open your own shop.
People/Blogs to Follow
- Lauren Hom on Instagram – Lettering artist and illustrator based in New York City. She specializes in branding, typography, and everything funny/yummy/pretty.
- Ann Shen on Instagram – Illustrator, letterer, & designer based in L.A.
- Jessica Walsh on Instagram – Art director & designer, travel & color lover in NYC
- Elsie + Emma A Beautiful Mess on Instagram – Sharing homemade recipes, crafts and inspiration from our readers around the world!
- Maggi McDonald on Instagram – Artist and Surface Designer
- Cyn on Instagram – Set decorator & Disney lover
- “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest” by Ken Kesey – In this classic novel, Ken Kesey’s hero is Randle Patrick McMurphy, a boisterous, brawling, fun-loving rebel who swaggers into the world of a mental hospital and takes over. A lusty, life-affirming fighter, McMurphy rallies the other patients around him by challenging the dictatorship of Nurse Ratched. He promotes gambling in the ward, smuggles in wine and women, and openly defies the rules at every turn. But this defiance, which starts as a sport, soon develops into a grim struggle, an all-out war between two relentless opponents: Nurse Ratched, backed by the full power of authority, and McMurphy, who has only his own indomitable will. What happens when Nurse Ratched uses her ultimate weapon against McMurphy provides the story’s shocking climax.
- Works by David Sedaris – With sardonic wit and incisive social critiques, David Sedaris has become one of America ‘s pre-eminent humor writers. The great skill with which he slices through cultural euphemisms and political correctness proves that Sedaris is a master of satire and one of the most observant writers addressing the human condition today.
- “The Martian” by Andy Weir – Six days ago, astronaut Mark Watney became one of the first people to walk on Mars. Now, he’s sure he’ll be the first person to die there. After a dust storm nearly kills him and forces his crew to evacuate while thinking him dead, Mark finds himself stranded and completely alone with no way to even signal Earth that he’s alive—and even if he could get word out, his supplies would be gone long before a rescue could arrive.