#140 | Digging Into the True Heart of Men & Full Spectrum Masculinity with Dan Doty
About This Episode
“Dan Doty is an executive coach and experiential retreat facilitator with roots in the great outdoors. He works with executives and senior leaders across a range of industries to increase performance and fulfillment by developing a relaxed confidence and increased ability to connect deeply with others.
Dan is also the co-founder of Evryman, a company that brings men together to exercise their emotions so they can lead more successful, fulfilling lives. His previous work includes producing and directing outdoor-based tv and film, teaching in a public high school in the Bronx, and spending 600 days in the wild as a wilderness therapy guide for disadvantaged and at-risk young men. Dan has appeared on the Today Show, has been a guest on the acclaimed Joe Rogan podcast, and has been featured twice in Men’s Health magazine.”
“Women don’t need to earn their right to be called a Woman. Men generally have to earn their manhood, they have to prove their manliness, they have to go through a right of passage to be honored with the title of a Man…and they have to sort of keep it up… Your value and identity is often built on what you’ve done and accomplished.”
Join us for a discussion about how full spectrum humanity shows up differently in masculine and feminine energies and why it is important for men to embrace and show emotions. Here are the details of our conversation:
- What Dan finds attractive in a woman
- Does Dan consider himself successful and why?
- The traps men live in
- What is full spectrum masculinity?
- Navigating men’s emotional wifi
- Biggest challenge men face today
- Why men are hurting and how can we fix it?
- Exploring the true heart of men
- What is masculine leadership?
- Men’s role in feminism
- Dan’s experience of fatherhood
- How do we manage feelings in relationships?
- Dan’s message to women
- And more…
- evryman.com – a community for men where they can find or start a group, or plunge into a wilderness experience that will help connect to their emotions and with other guys.
- The Evryman Podcast – a long form conversational podcast that challenges men to open up and get real.
- Dan’s Instagram
- Dan’s podcast interview on Expectful about fatherhood and meditation
Tools & Resources Mentioned
People/Blogs to Follow
- Esther Perel – Esther is a therapist, author, speaker and creator of the groundbreaking podcast Where Should We Begin.
- David Deida – David is an American author who writes about the sexual and spiritual relationship between men and women. His ten books have been published in 25 languages. He conducts spiritual growth and intimacy workshops and is one of the many founding associates at the Integral Institute.
- George Faller – George is a global leader in helping people reconnect and strengthen their relationships. He is a certified Trainer/Supervisor/Therapist in Emotionally Focused Couple Therapy (EFT) and founder of the New York Center for Emotionally Focused Therapy.
- Owen Marcus – Owen is an author, executive coach and co-founder of evryman.com.
- Reginald A. Ray – Reginald is a co-founder and Spiritual Director of the Dharma Ocean Foundation and University Professor (retired) at Naropa University.
- Grow Up: A Man’s Guide to Masculine Emotional Intelligence by Owen Marcus. In the pages of this book, Owen Marcus leads us along an enlightening path toward the authentic self, one that embraces and respects gender and masculinity. Marcus reveals that men aren’t immature or broken; they just need clarity, purpose, connection and the support of other men.