#16 | A Real Female Knight and “Survivor” Star Fired from Her Own Country with Esther Jacobs
About This Episode
There is nothing in the world that would stop Esther Jacobs from achieving her goal. She’s got no excuses for not challenging the status quo and pushing through adversities.
Ever felt like giving up because life was just too hard? Esther did too but she had always pushed through no matter what. Even when she had to raise 16 million euros for charities without any prior experience (and then was knighted by the Queen of Netherlands for it); or when she had survived for 27 days on the “Survivor” TV Show despite tremendous challenges; or when she fell in love with the biggest Playboy in the Caribbean; or when she was fired from her own country for travelling too much…
In fact, she had broken the rules, survived, and wrote books about her journey, including the one about her Playboy 😉 A true rebel and a pioneer in various fields, Esther is an international (TEDx) speaker and author of 21 books. She’s lived in more than 100 countries as a digital nomad and is more popular than Madonna on social media.
She is one of the few special Dutch citizens to be knighted by the Queen of The Netherlands for having gathered 16 million euros for charities. Instead of blaming her lack of prior experience or contacts and giving up, she pushed forward. It took her seven years spent in adversity, unresponsive charities & government and unpaid work. But Esther made it!
Esther is thirsty for constant challenges. She went on and registered on the “Survivor” TV show and managed to survive on an uninhabited island for three and a half weeks. Ten days of fights, abuse, and bullying among 18 other mates who were quite unfriendly. Her good intentions only showed up when the show was actually airing and all the “behind the scenes” juicy stories have been revealed. Esther became very popular throughout the country within a week!
Her journey continues with Esther aiming to recover from the past experiences on a Caribbean Island. She fell in love with the biggest playboy she could find… But the romance didn’t last too long as so many of us know…Instead of feeling miserable Esther took her pain and conclusions and wrote a book!
Her next crazy story involves being deregistered from her own house in Netherlands, losing her voting rights and, basically, getting fired from her own country… because she was traveling!
Esther admits that her life circumstances required masculine energy from her. Just to get things done, and keep going. All of this until a point when she realized she can’t be continuing the same way. Esther wants to live and enjoy the life as well – not just fight through it. The first step is probably talking about it, which she generously does in this episode on Girlskill.
Quotes from this episode:
“I am successful. I don’t have money or titles, but I have freedom.”
“My masculine traits were useful but not necessary anymore. I can switch from surviving to living and enjoying.”
“I used my masculine powers a lot: not taking any breaks, not making any room for emotions. I recently realized I can’t keep going on like this.”
Tools & Resources Mentioned
- Text Expander – Lets you instantly insert snippets of text from a repository of emails, boilerplate and other content, as you type – using a quick search or abbreviation.
- 1Password – With 1Password you only ever need to memorize… one password. All your other passwords and important information are protected behind your Master Password, which only you know.
• Google play
- Google Maps for Public Transportation – You can see transit departures from the Google Maps app. Some transit stations show real-time departures while others show a schedule of departures.
People/Blogs to Follow
- Patty Golsteijn – Blogger, known as Miss “Cut The Crap”.
- Stella Romana Airoldi – Female entrepreneur & Digital nomad, founder of 22stars Kids & Jewellery, empowering families in Uganda.
• Listen to Stella’s interview on Girlskill Podcast #8: Social Entrepreneurship in Uganda and Fashion That Gives Back with Stella Airoldi from 22Star
- “The Dip: A Little Book that Teaches You When to Quit (And When to Stick)” by Seth Godin – Popular business blogger and bestselling author Seth Godin proves that winners are really just the best quitters. Godin shows that winners quit fast, quit often, and quit without guilt—until they commit to beating the right Dip.
- “The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, And Join the New Rich” by Tim Ferris – Forget the old concept of retirement and the rest of the deferred-life plan–there is no need to wait and every reason not to, especially in unpredictable economic times. Whether your dream is escaping the rat race, experiencing high-end world travel, or earning a monthly five-figure income with zero management, The 4-Hour Workweek is the blueprint.
- “The Time Traveler’s Wife” by Audrey Niffenegger – A dazzling novel in the most untraditional fashion, this is the remarkable story of Henry DeTamble, a dashing, adventuresome librarian who travels involuntarily through time, and Clare Abshire, an artist whose life takes a natural sequential course. Henry and Clare’s passionate love affair endures across a sea of time and captures the two lovers in an impossibly romantic trap, and it is Audrey Niffenegger’s cinematic storytelling that makes the novel’s unconventional chronology so vibrantly triumphant.
- “The Surrender Experiment: My Journey Into Life’s Perfection” by Michael A. Singer – The book tells the extraordinary story of what happened when, after a deep spiritual awakening, he decided to let go of his personal preferences and simply let life call the shots. As Singer takes you on this great experiment and journey into life’s perfection, the events that transpire will both challenge your deepest assumptions about life and inspire you to look at your own life in a radically different way.
Bonus #1: E-course
Social Media E-course with Esther Jacobs – 50% Discount with Code ‘GIRLSKILL’
Bonus #2: E-book
“What is Your Dream?: Make Your Dream Come True. Start Today” by Ester Jacobs – Enjoy the 17 personal stories of ordinary people who, just like Esther and yourself, are trying to pursue their dreams through life’s ups and downs. The combination of tips and colorful interviews gives hope and confidence that ANYTHING is possible. This book makes you want to start living YOUR dream. Email Esther for the book she is offering: [email protected]
“Sometimes we get discouraged and turn to inspirational writing, like stuff from Vince Lombardi: “Quitters never win and winners never quit.” Bad advice. Winners quit all the time. They just quit the right stuff at the right time.” –The Dip, Seth Godin