#75 | Being Boss: Home Births, Online Trolls, and Juggling Two Businesses with Kathleen Shannon
About This Episode
“I’m not for everyone, and that is ok. That is part of having a brand. That’s life.”
Kathleen Shannon is the founder of not one, but two online businesses, the author of Being Boss: Take Control of Your Work and Live Life on Your Own Terms, a mother, and an all-around badass lady. Her branding firm, Braid Creative, helps entrepreneurs put more of who they are into their businesses and express themselves in the best way possible. Her podcast that she hosts with Emily Thompson, Being Boss, has racked up over 5 million downloads and boasts guests like Brené Brown, Marie Forleo, and Danielle LaPorte.
“With action comes experience, and experience is almost always positive because there is adventure–or a lesson learned–and it makes for good stories.”
Join us for an illuminating conversation about motherhood and the juggling act of our lives. Kathleen will share her priorities and processes that help her be a boss and the moments of her life that have defined her as an entrepreneur, a mother, and a feminine woman.
“Being a mom has been one of the most feminine experiences of my life–from the grit and strength of childbirth to the tenderness of us cuddling at night.”
Every day, Kathleen prioritizes actions that are good for her mind and body, and she takes small steps towards her goals with her businesses. This method has led to widespread success, but with every goal she meets, Kathleen can’t help but look forward to the next mountain she wants to climb. With a successful book tour, a podcast with hundreds of episodes, and guests like our main Girlskill Girl-crush Danielle LaPorte, you would think that Kathleen would be satisfied. But she keeps taking those small steps forward, and with every step, her impact on the world grows.
“It took us a billion years to get here–the fact that we are even human beings in this world makes us successful!”
While her professional success is important, it impossible not to hear the pride in Kathleen’s voice when she talks about her son. For Kathleen, childbirth and motherhood have been the most feminine experience of her life. While she had a natural, home birth, Kathleen is adamant that every woman has the right to visualize their own birth plan, that every woman is allowed to change her mind, and that every woman’s way of bringing life into the world is beautiful. She has held onto her beliefs even when people online criticize her for telling the stories of her experiences. When faced with criticism, Kathleen says that we have to know our beliefs and values, run the questions through our code of ethics, and address is as best we can.
“We can’t water down our stories, we have to shine a light on the world we want to live in.”
Tools & Resources Mentioned
People/Blogs to Follow
- Dax Shepard: Armchair Expert – Dax Shepard is endlessly fascinated by the messiness of being human. Join him as he explores the stories of others and the challenges and setbacks that led to their growth and betterment.
- Geography of Genius by Eric Weiner – Tag along on this New York Times bestselling “witty, entertaining romp” (The New York Times Book Review) as Eric Winer travels the world, from Athens to Silicon Valley—and back through history, too—to show how creative genius flourishes in specific places at specific times.
- Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert – Readers of all ages and walks of life have drawn inspiration and empowerment from Elizabeth Gilbert’s books for years. Now this beloved author digs deep into her own generative process to share her wisdom and unique perspective about creativity. With profound empathy and radiant generosity, she offers potent insights into the mysterious nature of inspiration. She asks us to embrace our curiosity and let go of needless suffering. She shows us how to tackle what we most love, and how to face down what we most fear.
- Becoming Supernatural by Joe Dispenza – The author of the New York Times bestseller You Are the Placebo, as well as Breaking the Habit of Being Yourself and Evolve Your Brain, draws on research conducted at his advanced workshops since 2012 to explore how common people are doing the uncommon to transform themselves and their lives. Becoming Supernatural marries some of the most profound scientific information with ancient wisdom to show how people like you and me can experience a more mystical life.
P. S. Sign up for the newly released training on “The Lie of Female Success” and learn how it’s keeping you stuck, unfulfilled & drained.
Here is what you will learn on this exclusive, one-of-a-kind training:
- The Modern Female Epidemic that’s keeping women confined, unhappy & unfulfilled
- Where the Journey to Success actually begins & how did we all get here
- The Essential Forgotten Element to any woman’s “successful life”
- The Secret to Attracting, Sustaining & Magnifying the relationship that you want
- The True Power & Definition of femininity & masculinity
- The #1 Reason for Feeling Numb, stuck in your head & sensually asleep