#49 | Wine, Glitter, and Female Entrepreneurs: A Look into Badassery Magazine with Co-Founders Samantha Parker and Kathy Rasmussen
About This Episode
Move out of the way–Badassery Magazine is here, glitter and all! This week’s guests Samantha Parker and Kathy Rasmussen have built the Badassery brand from the ground up, creating a magazine, a networking platform, and a movement for badass bosses and female entrepreneurs who are ready to get shit done.
“We don’t compete. We’ve never tried to compete. That’s what makes us different.”
The Badassery brand has come a long way since the day that Sam texted Kathy from her bathroom one morning with an idea for a revolutionary new magazine. The journey has not been easy. Sam will tell us about her experience with motherhood and divorce at an early age and Kathy’s experience with unemployment and foreclosure is familiar to many of us. However, these experiences did not hold them back, but rather, they lead these women to be the badass bosses that they are today.
“Women can get past ‘we have to do this’ and turn it into ‘we get to do this’. Change the paradigm. Change the story.”
Join us for a conversation about surviving, thriving, and drinking wine in which Sam and Kathy will tell us how to start living by our own rules and follow our passions. They will also tell us what makes Badassery so unique and why there is no competition with other publications.
“When you take the comparison and the judgement out, and you are just aware, it changes the dynamic.”
Tools & Resources Mentioned
- Slack – Slack brings all your team’s communication together, giving everyone a shared workspace where conversations are organized and accessible.
- Trello – Trello’s boards, lists, and cards enable you to organize and prioritize your projects in a fun, flexible and rewarding way.
- Audible – Listen to your books wherever you are with our free app—at home, in the car, at the gym. Even if you switch devices, you’ll never lose your place.
- Zoom – Zoom makes video and web conferencing frictionless. Founded in 2011, Zoom is the leader in modern enterprise video communications, with a secure, easy platform for video and audio conferencing, messaging, and webinars across mobile, desktop, and room systems.
People/Blogs to Follow
- Denise Duffield-Thomas – Denise Duffield-Thomas is the money mindset mentor for the new wave of online female entrepreneurs. Her best-selling books “Lucky Bitch” and “Get Rich, Lucky Bitch” give a fresh and funny road-map to create an outrageously successful life and business.
Denise helps women release their fear of money, set premium prices for their services and take back control over their finances.
- Gary Vaynerchuk – Gary Vaynerchuk is a serial entrepreneur and the CEO and co-founder of VaynerMedia, a full-service digital agency servicing Fortune 500 clients across the company’s 4 locations.
- Sophia Amoruso – Sophia Christina Amoruso is an American businesswoman. At age 22, she started an online eBay store selling vintage clothing and other items, which she named “Nasty Gal Vintage”. Based on the success of her online store, Amoruso founded Nasty Gal, a women’s fashion retailer, which went on to be named one of “the fastest growing companies” by Inc. Magazine in 2012.
- Tara Gentile – She is an entrepreneur, podcast host, speaker, and small business educator. She is also the founder and CEO of CoCommercial, a social and support network that connects small business owners with each other for honest conversations about what works.
- Brené Brown – She has spent the past sixteen years studying courage, vulnerability, shame, and empathy and is the author of four #1 New York Times bestsellers – The Gifts of Imperfection, Daring Greatly, Rising Strong and Braving the Wilderness: The Quest for True Belonging and the Courage to Stand Alone (Fall 2017). Brené’s TED talk – The Power of Vulnerability – is one of the top five most viewed TED talks in the world with over 30 million views.
- The Personal MBA by Josh Kaufman – Josh Kaufman has made a business out of distilling the core principles of business and delivering them quickly and concisely to people at all stages of their careers. His blog has introduced hundreds of thousands of readers to the best business books and most powerful business concepts of all time. In The Personal MBA, he shares the essentials of sales, marketing, negotiation, strategy, and much more.
- The 5 Second Rule by Mel Robbins – Using the science of habits, riveting stories and surprising facts from some of the most famous moments in history, art and business, Mel Robbins will explain the power of a “push moment.” Then, she’ll give you one simple tool you can use to become your greatest self. It takes just five seconds to use this tool, and every time you do, you’ll be in great company. More than 8 million people have watched Mel’s TEDx Talk, and executives inside of the world’s largest brands are using the tool to increase productivity, collaboration, and engagement.
- Light is the New Black by Rebecca Campbell – In this book, Rebecca guides you to do the same. In order to thrive in this new age, everything must be an authentic expression of who we truly are. Rebecca shares her own journey to the light, alongside practical tools that will help you to answer your soul’s callings, and channelled messages from the universe. Reconnect to the core of your being and honour it, so that you can use it to change the world in a way that only you can.