#32 | Urinary Incontinence, Pelvic Floor & the Female Orgasm & with MaryEllen Reider
About This Episode
Imagine when you sneeze, laugh, or exercise, you also… pee a little. You’ve probably heard of urinary incontinence before, but associated it with the elderly. It is something that could affect 1 in 3 women. It can get in your way during the simplest activities, such as laughing or sneezing. Crazy!
“Women of all ages can get urinary incontinence. In the United States, 1 in 3 women have it, and out of them 10-17% are young female adults. It all depends on the strength of your pelvic floor muscles.”
MaryEllen Reider is the co-founder of Yarlap®; the first FDA cleared pelvic floor muscle stimulator device. MaryEllen co-founded the company with her father, Brent Reider, a 58-year-old medical-device inventor from Oxford, Ohio. Together they are passionate about solving the widespread problem of urinary incontinence in women and are being featured in Huffington Post, Pop Culture, Journal of Women’s Health, Issues and Care and many other media channels to spread their message.
“The fact of admitting you have urinary incontinence is really scary and embarrassing for some women. We give them the option to go online and have the confidence that they are getting something of medical grade, delivered to their home.”
Yarlap® is the size of a lipstick tube and with the help of a button, you can regulate the device according to your needs. “With female urinary incontinence, it is hard to do the Kegel exercise because the pelvic floor muscles are weakened or damaged. The Yarlap® uses NMES to send electrical signals to your muscles, making them contract and relax for you. Even if you have weak or damaged muscles, NMES will perform the pelvic floor exercises painlessly for you.”
In some blogs, the device is called a sex toy for its ability to improve the female orgasm. According to MaryEllen, happy customers call in all the time to tell them stories about how Yarlap® had not only enhanced the pelvic floor muscles but also helped with intensifying their orgasms.
According to MaryEllen, there are currently no known side-effects known for Yarlap®.
Get a 25% discount when you buy Yarlap® here (use code “GIRLSKILL” at checkout.)
Tools & Resources Mentioned
- Instagram – A simple way to capture and share the world’s moments. Follow your friends and family to see what they’re up to, and discover accounts from all over the world that are sharing things you love.
- Planoly – Manage, plan, and schedule your Instagram posts from your computer and mobile phones. Create a cohesive Instagram feed and manage multiple Instagram accounts.
- Hashtagger – Hashtagger is here to help you grow your following by connecting you with like-minded hashtaggers. Enter your most frequent hashtag and our app will generate the latest top hashtags based on others’ use.
+Quick and easy to use
+Generates up to 100 hashtags based on search
+Selected hashtags formatted to copy seamlessly into Instagram
People/Blogs to Follow
- Goop – Cutting-edge wellness advice from doctors, vetted travel recommendations, and a curated shop of clean beauty, fashion, and home.
- Motherly – Motherly was born to send expert ideas and mom-to-mom inspiration to women exactly when they need it. Because an uplifting online community full of expert tricks-of-the-trade and inspiring stories were exactly what we were missing the first time we became moms.
- Women’s Health – Women’s Health is the MUST-HAVE ACTION PLAN for today’s modern woman. From beauty to style to ﬁtness, Women’s Health gives readers the tools they need to make instant, positive changes in their lives.
- Lynzy – A Connecticut based life & style blog for modern motherhood. Lynzy & Co. focuses on style, home decor, and everything baby & kids related.
- “Bossypants” by Tina Fey – Before Liz Lemon, before “Weekend Update,” before “Sarah Palin,” Tina Fey was just a young girl with a dream: a recurring stress dream that she was being chased through a local airport by her middle-school gym teacher. She also had a dream that one day she would be a comedian on TV.
- “Rebecca” by Daphne Du Maurier – Gothic masterpiece about a young bride haunted by the specter of her husband’s first wife. Working as a lady’s companion, the orphaned heroine of Rebecca learns her place. Life begins to look very bleak until, on a trip to the South of France, she meets Maxim de Winter, a handsome widower whose sudden proposal of marriage takes her by surprise. Whisked from glamorous Monte Carlo to his brooding estate, Manderley, on the Cornish Coast, the new Mrs de Winter finds Max a changed man. And the memory of his dead wife Rebecca is forever kept alive by the forbidding Mrs Danvers…