#37 | Turning Chronic Illness & Assault into Resiliency and Power with Monique Lindner
About This Episode
Monique’s story is one of those heartfelt ones when you go “No way…” and then you realize the story doesn’t end there, and then you go “What?! Noooo…”
“Femininity for me is being strong, it equals being beautiful.”
She had been born with chronic kidney failure and had gone through intense migraines, throwing up, being knocked out for 5-6 days and suffering from pre-epileptic attacks and seizures. At 19 she had been struck with a heart arrest and entered clinical death for about 25 seconds.
During her cheerleader training certification course, Monique got into a car crash accident after which her spine was “triply twisted,” and 9 years later she ended up with four herniated discs. While being treated by her therapist, he raped her in his office by violently undressing her and thrusting his fingers into her without her consent.
“Raping was nothing personal to me, it could have happened to any other woman that was young and attractive in his eyes.”
Despite all this trauma, assault, chronic illness and being “too sick” to do anything “substantial” with her life, Monique had not only survived but also thrived. She had led a team of 100 people in corporations, became a scuba diving instructor, a TEDx speaker, podcaster and a full-time digital nomad traveling the world telling her story and coaching other on resilience and empowerment.
“I proved them wrong not to prove them wrong, but to prove me right.”
Tools & Resources Mentioned
- WordPress – Create a free website or easily build a blog on WordPress.com. Hundreds of free, customizable, mobile-ready designs and themes. Free hosting and support.
- Divi Theme for WordPress – hDivi is powered by the Divi Builder, an insanely fast and incredibly intuitive front-end editor like nothing you have seen before. It will change the way you build websites forever.
- Snapseed is a complete and professional photo editor, that lets users adjust photos with an impressive arsenal of tools and settings.
People/Blogs to Follow
- Alice Teacake – Adventure travel for kickass chicks. Teacake Travels. Welcome to THE solo female adventure travel blog for kickass chicks! Want to face your fears, push your boundaries and reach your full potential through solo travel? You’re in the right place!
- Kerwin Rae – a businessman, entrepreneur, investor, and international speaker. He is one of the Australia’s leading business strategists for over a decade. Kerwin Rae can help you identify, plan and manage your marketing, sales and strategic planning in order to grow your business fast.
- “Kafka on the Shore” by Haruki Murakami – Kafka on the Shore is powered by two remarkable characters: a teenage boy, Kafka Tamura, who runs away from home either to escape a gruesome oedipal prophecy or to search for his long-missing mother and sister; and an aging simpleton called Nakata, who never recovered from a wartime affliction and now is drawn toward Kafka for reasons that, like the most basic activities of daily life, he cannot fathom.
- ”Think and Grow Rich” by Napoleon Hill – In Think and Grow Rich, Hill draws on stories of Andrew Carnegie, Thomas Edison, Henry Ford, and other millionaires of his generation to illustrate his principles. This book will teach you the secrets that could bring you a fortune. It will show you not only what to do but how to do it. Once you learn and apply the simple, basic techniques revealed here, you will have mastered the secret of true and lasting success.