#92 | Overcoming the Victim Mindset and Sexual Trauma Through Tantric Modalities with Naomi Pereira
About This Episode
Naomi Pereira is a Hatha yoga teacher, an energy medicine practitioner, and an expert in Tantric philosophy. With almost a decade of experience in meditating and exploring healing modalities, Naomi is a powerful force of spiritual guidance, especially for women who are dealing with the aftermath of sexual violence and trauma.
“Femininity is a constant state of flux, flow, and change. As women, we effortlessly move between roles–caretaker, wife, mother, lover, wise sage.”
Join us for an honest conversation about victimhood, power, sex, and the uncomfortable, and beautiful, places that they intersect.
Naomi’s journey began when she was nine years old. She was sexually abused by her brother, and the abuse continued into her teenage years. She left home and backpacked around the world for almost a decade, and when she was 31, she was again the victim of a sexual attack by the same brother who has since passed away. The episode left her mentally and emotionally shattered. She suffered from PTSD, insomnia, suicidal ideation, and hallucinations. Something needed to change. She started on a journey into her own victimhood, finding the source of her power, and connecting to her body and sexual energy through meditation and Tantric modalities.
“The trauma led me to the extreme; it put me on the edge. I did everything I shouldn’t have done. I felt like I had nothing left to lose.”
In this episode, Naomi shares her experiences with forgiving her brother and herself, her insight into the spiritual blocks that trauma can cause and what we can do to tear down the walls we have built. Naomi’s experience of harnessing her sexual energy through Tantra has helped her heal and build a strong relationship with herself and others.
“Success is turning something that was once ugly and debilitating into something that is a springboard for evolution into a whole new world of awareness, consciousness, joy, and pleasure.”
Tools & Resources Mentioned
People/Blogs to Follow
- Jai Dev Singh – Jai Dev Singh is a yogi and teacher. His innovative Yoga and Ayurveda courses have been attended and studied by thousands of people throughout the world. He is the founder and CEO of The Life-Force Academy, and his flagship teachings are offered through The Complete Course of Ayurveda, The Radiant Body Home Course, Unlocking the Life Force, The Sweetest Love, and The Life-Force Academy, itself.
- Simrit Dev Singh – Simrit is a Renaissance woman who is the CEO of her independent record label, SIMRIT KAUR MUSIC, and she has topped World Music Charts including iTunes at #1 for consecutive weeks at a time, many times over, and Billboard Music’s top 5 and 10 with her last four consecutive releases.
- Christopher Wallis – Christopher Wallis, also known as Hareesh, is a scholar-practitioner with thirty years of experience. His degrees include a B.A. in Religion and Classics from the University of Rochester, an M.A. in Sanskrit from U.C. Berkeley, an M.Phil. in Classical Indian Religions from Oxford, and a Ph.D. in Sanskrit from U.C. Berkeley. His doctoral dissertation focused on the role of spiritual experience in the tradition of Tantric Shaivism. Additionally, he received traditional education at yoga āshrams in upstate New York and India, training in meditation, mantra-science, kīrtan, karma-yoga, and pedagogy. He currently teaches meditation, yoga darśana (practical philosophy), Tantrik philosophy, Sanskrit, mantra-science, and offers spiritual counseling.
- The Divine Couple SHIVA – SHAKTI
- The Mastery of Love by Don Miguel Ruiz – In The Mastery of Love, Don Miguel Ruiz illuminates the fear-based beliefs and assumptions that undermine love and lead to suffering and drama in our relationships. Using insightful stories to bring his message to life, Ruiz shows us how to heal our emotional wounds, recover the freedom and joy that are our birthright, and restore the spirit of playfulness that is vital to loving relationships.
- Kashmir Saivism: The Central Philosophy of Tantrism by Kamalakar Mishra – the present work is an exposition of the philosophy and religion of the Trika system, popularly known as Kashmir Saivism. Kashmir Saivism is the most prominent system of the Tantric tradition. The author considers Kashmir saivism the true or central philosophy of Tantrism. In this book, he attempts to present a logical analysis of the Tantric position of Abhinavagupta. He has also shown, according to his understanding, what remains unresolved and unanswered in his philosophy, but he admits that in the present work he is mainly playing the role of advocate of Abhinavagupta rather than critic.