#58 | Don’t Quit Your Day Job: Music, Singing and a New Definition of Success with Noireve and Athina
About This Episode
For many people, success is money and fame. We judge our worth by how much money we make every year or how many Instagram followers we get. However, for this week’s guests, money isn’t motivation. Noireve, a music producer, and Athina, a singer, are two Italian performers whose love of music is fueled by passion, not profit.
“You shouldn’t be doing music for the money, because you are not going to make a lot of money. You have to do it out of passion.”
Noireve started out playing classical guitar. But her music career soon grew beyond that. Noireve (also known as Janet Dappiano) is a music producer based in London. Her award-winning music is a mix of dream-pop and folktronica, and she has performed with artists like Tama Sumo, House of Myrtle, and Arms and Sleepers. She grew up popularity in Italy, and eventually, she moved to Las Palmas. One day she walked past Athina, who was busking near the beach. She knew there was something special there, and a musical partnership was born.
Athina, an Italian singer, had been busking for a while before she met Noireve. She currently spends her time working in the kitchen at a restaurant in Las Palmas, Gran Canaria singing on street corners, and performing with Noireve. Her voice (in this episode you will hear her sing live and the recordings of her collaboration with Noireve), has a unique quality that fits perfectly with Noireve’s folktronica sound and captivates everyone who hears her.
“Femininity is something you can see and recognize, but it is hard to define.”
Join us for a discussion about success without masses of adoring fans, happiness without lots of money, and femininity without definition. Noireve and Athina will share their musical journeys and their plans for the future.
“For me, success is liking what you do. You don’t need someone to tell you that what you do is good.”
Tools & Resources Mentioned
- Ableton Live – Live is fast, fluid and flexible software for music creation and performance. It comes with effects, instruments, sounds and all kinds of creative features—everything you need to make any kind of music. Create in a traditional linear arrangement, or improvise without the constraints of a timeline in Live’s Session View. Move freely between musical elements and play with ideas, without stopping the music and without breaking your flow.
- Shazam – Shazam Entertainment Ltd. is a British app development company that created an app that can identify music, movies, advertising, and television shows, based on a short sample played and using the microphone on the device.
- GarageBand – GarageBand is a line of digital audio workstations for macOS and iOS that allows users to create music or podcasts. GarageBand is developed and sold by Apple Inc. for macOS, and is part of the iLife software suite.
People/Blogs to Follow
- alt-j – alt-J are an alternative band from the UK, formed in 2008 by four friends who met at Leeds University. Having forged their own unique sound combining elements of electronic, folk and guitar music.
- Run the Jewels – Run the Jewels, also known by the initialism RTJ, is an American hip hop duo consisting of rapper/producer El-P and rapper Killer Mike. They released their acclaimed debut studio album, Run the Jewels, as a free digital download in 2013.
- Henning May – AnnenMayKantereit is a German rock band from Cologne, which was founded in 2011. They sing in both German and English; a notable feature is the distinctive rough voice of the singer Henning May.
- Rick and Morty – Rick and Morty is an American adult animated science fiction comedy series created by Justin Roiland and Dan Harmon for Cartoon Network’s late-night programming block Adult Swim. The series follows the misadventures of cynical mad scientist Rick Sanchez and his fretful, easily influenced grandson Morty Smith.
- Hope Sandoval – Hope Sandoval grew up in east L.A. with her Mexican-American family. She started her career with her friend Sylvia Gomez in a folk duo called Going Home in 1986. Hope would later form Mazzy Star with David Roback and release 3 albums in the 1990s. Hope Sandoval & The Warm Inventions released Bavarian Fruit Bread in 2001 and Through The Devil Softly in 2009.
- Giulia Foddai – Guilia is a singer and musician whose songs can be found on SoundCloud. Originally from Milan, Italy, Guilia has a hauntingly beautiful voice and you should check out her music!
- Kirsten Calandra – Kirsten is a singer, musician, and publicist from Sarasota, Florida in the United States. Her songs can be found on SoundCloud.
- The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss – So begins the tale of Kvothe—from his childhood in a troupe of traveling players, to years spent as a near-feral orphan in a crime-riddled city, to his daringly brazen yet successful bid to enter a difficult and dangerous school of magic. In these pages you will come to know Kvothe as a notorious magician, an accomplished thief, a masterful musician, and an infamous assassin. But The Name of the Wind is so much more—for the story it tells reveals the truth behind Kvothe’s legend.
- Confessions of an English Opium Eater by Thomas De Quincey – In this remarkable autobiography, Thomas De Quincey hauntingly describes the surreal visions and hallucinatory nocturnal wanderings he took through London—and the nightmares, despair, and paranoia to which he became prey—under the influence of the then-legal painkiller laudanum. Forging a link between artistic self-expression and addiction, Confessions seamlessly weaves the effects of drugs and the nature of dreams, memory, and imagination. First published in 1821, it paved the way for later generations of literary drug users, from Baudelaire to Burroughs, and anticipated psychoanalysis with its insights into the subconscious.