#59 | Embracing Pleasure, Vulnerability & Sensuality Through Photography with Nora Wendel
About This Episode
When was the last time that you focused on genuinely feeling something? On living in the moment and being present in your body and your life? This week’s guest is a photographer, but she captures so much more than pictures with her camera. Nora Wendel is showing women how to embrace the depths of their feminine power by helping them connect to their sensuality and vulnerability.
“You being vulnerable gives other women permission to be vulnerable… you never know who you are inspiring.”
This “multi-potentialite” has lived all over the world, from Brazil to London to India to Bali. She is a photographer, a marketer, an entrepreneur, a yogi, a wellness aide, an audio-editor, a web designer, a world traveler–the list goes on and on! She is currently living in Bali and taking photos of women of all ages, sizes, races, and confidence levels. Her newest business, The Photo Forest, is a platform for stock photos geared towards the wellness industry using models that are not all white, skinny, and in their 20s.
“The ability to embody sensuality and femininity is so beautiful to see in myself and to witness in others.”
Nora’s connection with her body and her feminine power is obvious–you can hear the peace and tranquility in every word she speaks. In this episode, Nora shares her struggles to develop her vulnerability, from dealing with her parents’ divorce at a young age (and growing up in two different countries as a result) to feeling like she could never be content or find a home. The lessons she has learned about choice, change, contentment, and vulnerability are now helping her take honest, raw photos of women who need help seeing their beauty.
“It’s these little moments of sensuality, and the story behind it, that I think is so beautiful in these photo shoots.”
Join us for a conversation with a woman whose journey aligns beautifully with the Girlskill mission. If you want to hear about the overwhelming sensuality of oranges and the power of a boudoir photo shoot, or if you are curious about how to become more confident and open with the world, then this episode is for you!
“I choose to be happy. I choose to have joy.”
Tools & Resources Mentioned
- Giphy Capture – GIPHY CAPTURE is the best way to create GIFs on your Mac. Simple, powerful, free, and easy enough for pretty much everyone and even a few small mammals.
- Lightroom – Create incredible photos anywhere with the all-new Lightroom CC. Use any browser to access your photos uploaded from Lightroom CC on your computer, mobile phone, or tablet, and edit them in full-resolution. Find and organize your photos with searchable keywords that are automatically applied without the hassle of tagging. Also, easily share and showcase your photos in fun ways.
- A Color Story – A Color Story is a photography + technology company specializing in mobile imaging apps, Lightroom Presets, and Photoshop Actions. Its best-selling flagship app, A Color Story, is used by millions across the globe to make fresh, colorful photos and has been featured in Forbes, Domino, Real Simple, CNET, TNW, Travel + Leisure, and in Apple’s App Store as ‘Best New App’, ‘App of the Day’, and ‘New Apps We Love’.
People/Blogs to Follow
- Denise Duffield-Thomas – Denise Duffield-Thomas is the money mindset mentor for the new wave of online female entrepreneurs. Her best-selling books “Lucky Bitch” and “Get Rich, Lucky Bitch” give a fresh and funny road-map to create an outrageously successful life and business.
- Jenna Kutcher – A small-town Wisconsin girl obsessed with all things marketing who turned a $300 Craigslist camera into a seven-figure empire. Now, she’s teaching us all her secrets!
- Alex Beadon – She creates weekly videos for her YouTube channel which now has almost 30,000 subscribers, and 1.7 million views. She teaches her clients how to use the online business model to add meaning, money and freedom into their lives through her transformational and educational experiences The Spark Lounge and The School of Killer Impressions. She lives and studies the online business model and she’s here to help it go *viral*.
- Gala Darling – Gala Darling is a speaker and the bestselling author of Radical Self-Love: A Guide To Loving Yourself And Living Your Dreams. She has been teaching radical self love — a selection of powerful techniques and tools which help women transform their lives — for close to a decade. Her site, galadarling.com, helps a million women a month find their voice, live without fear, and fall in love with life.
- Rise Sister Rise by Rebecca Campbell – Rise Sister Rise is a transmission that calls the innate feminine wisdom to rise. It is about healing the insecurities, the fears and the inherited patterns that stop women trusting the Shakti (power) and wisdom (intuition) that effortlessly flows through them. It’s about recognizing all of the ways we have been keeping ourselves contained and restrained in effort to fit into a certain archetype of woman. It’s about co-creating a whole new archetype of woman – a woman who deeply respects the wise women in her life and cultivates her own wisdom every single day.
- White Hot Truth by Danielle LaPorte – If you love Brene Brown and Liz Gilbert’s authenticity, and Marianne Williamson’s strong spirit, you’ll adore how Danielle lays bare “Boundaries for spiritual people”; the “Discipleshit” that happens when we give our power away; a “Soul-perspective” on suffering; “over tolerance” and “foolish compassion” in relationships, sneaky self-loathing; spiritual glamour. And in her poetic and brazen way, she brings it home with the hottest truth of all: You are your own guru.
- Wild Feminine by Tami Lynn Kent – Wild Feminine reveals the amazing potential of the female body: the potential to create, to heal, and to transform the energy of a woman’s everyday life. Journey deep into the heart of your body. Travel the terrain of feminine wounds. Go to your root place, the center of all womanhood and radically shift your relationship with your body and spirit. Wild Feminine gives you the tools to awaken and retrieve your ancient wild self, restore your creative energy, and reconnect to your sacred center.