#22 | 9 Steps to Building Your Personal Roadmap with Samantha Alvarez
About This Episode
Samantha Alvarez is a genius when it comes to New Year Resolutions and implementation of grand plans without burning out. She carries a 30x30cm dry-erase board with her at all times, which revolutionized how she plans her day and gets sh*t done.
Sam speaks 8 languages, had visited 26 countries, lived in 11 of them, held 63 jobs and is now a Sales Coach, and Sales Systems Strategist, helping businesses around the world stabilize revenue and live life fully. Based on her own experience and resources she’s used during years of self-exploration, Sam has come up with her own system of planning and achieving goals every year that keep her on track and motivated.
The 9-step vigorous planning, reviewing & implementation process Sam came up with will keep you aligned and focused and includes the following steps:
- Reflect on the Previous Year
- Dream about your Ideal Life
- Brainstorm Goals for the Coming Year
- Choose Goals and Categories for the Coming Year
- Break Down Goals into Manageable Chunks
- Prepare For Action by Deciding Key Goals
- Take Action on Key Goals
- Choose a Theme For Your Year
- Implement Your Roadmap
Sam says that if you manage 60 percent of your plan, you’re doing really good! On this episode, she explains every single step, gives practical examples from her own roadmap and shares with us the theme she has chosen for this year:
“Calmness is the cradle of power.” – J. G. Holland.
After deciding to be a digital nomad, Samantha quickly realized that being your own boss means rigorous planning and self-discipline. Only that she had to figure out what they would be. She needed a clarification process. “The Art of Non-Conformity: Set Your Own Rules, Live the Life You Want, and Change the World” by Chris Guillebeau inspired Sam to create her own version of planning her goals which turned into the Personal Roadmap System.
The Personal Roadmap is intended to be visionary and very ambitious. It brings your consciousness into your dreams. It’s absolutely possible that your plan would already be out of date by the time you’re done ‘sketching’.
“Most plans are out of date by the time you finish them.”
Tools & Resources Mentioned
- Headspace – Meditation has been shown to help people stress less, focus more and even sleep better. Headspace is meditation made simple. We’ll teach you the life-changing skills of meditation and mindfulness in just a few minutes a day.
- Zoom – The leader in modern enterprise video communications, with an easy, reliable cloud platform for video and audio conferencing, chat, and webinars across mobile, desktop, and room systems.
- Google Drive – Get access to files anywhere through secure cloud storage and file backup for your photos, videos, files and more with Google Drive.
- Blinkist – Get access to key insights from 2000+ bestselling nonfiction books, transformed into powerful packs you can read or listen to in just 15 minutes
- Oprah & Deepak’s 21-Day Meditation Experience in iTunes – Oprah Winfrey, Deepak Chopra, and Chopra Center Meditation present the “Oprah & Deepak’s 21-Day Meditation Experience” mobile app. Get easy access to the complete online experience on your iPhone.
People/Blogs to Follow
- Fluent in 3 Months – Want to learn another language? Fluent in 3 Months (FI3M) is all about finding the quickest possible route to speaking a new language.
- Mimic Method – With their language-training program, you learn to listen with clarity and speak with confidence.
- Life on Fire – Life on Fire inspires individuals all over the world to live out their dreams through instilling courage and the four embers of a life on fire.
- Emilie Wapnick – Emilie Wapnick is a writer, career coach, blogger, and community leader. She is the founder and creative director at Puttylike.com, where she helps multipotentialites (people with many passions and creative pursuits) integrate all of their interests to create dynamic, fulfilling, and fruitful careers and lives. Unable to settle on one path herself, Emilie studied music, art, film production and law, graduating from the Law Faculty at McGill University.
- “The Art of Non-Conformity: Set Your Own Rules, Live the Life You Want, and Change the World” by Chris Guillebeau – Defies common assumptions about life and work while arming you with the tools to live differently. You’ll discover how to live on your own terms by exploring creative self-employment, radical goal-setting, contrarian travel, and embracing life as a constant adventure. Inspired and guided by Chris’s own story and those of others who have pursued unconventional lives, you can devise your own plan for world domination-and make the world a better place at the same time.
- “The Miracle Morning: The Not-So-Obvious Secret Guaranteed to Transform Your Life (Before 8AM)” by Hal Elrod – What’s being widely regarded as “one of the most life changing books ever written” may be the simplest approach to achieving everything you’ve ever wanted, and faster than you ever thought possible. What if you could wake up tomorrow and any—or EVERY—area of your life was beginning to transform? What would you change? The Miracle Morning is already transforming the lives of tens of thousands of people around the world by showing them how to wake up each day with more ENERGY, MOTIVATION, and FOCUS to take your life to the next level. It’s been right here in front of us all along, but this book has finally brought it to life.
- Works by Terry Pratchett – an English author of fantasy novels, especially comical works. He is best known for his Discworld series of 41 novels.
- Works by Anne McCaffrey – the Hugo Award-winning author of the bestselling Dragonriders of Pern® novels, is one of science fiction’s most popular authors.