#45 | The Smile Road – From a Paris Law Firm to a Bali Beach with Sandrine Landrix
About This Episode
Sometimes, we reach a point in our lives where we are miserable. We are doing work that holds no meaning for us, we are in dead-end relationships, or we are out of balance emotionally and spiritually. Sandrine Landrix, a digital nomad, and founder of The Smile Road, has been on a long journey that included all of these struggles, and now she has built a business, and a movement, centered around helping people find what makes them smile.
“If you don’t feel the pain, you don’t really feel the joy and the happiness.”
Sandrine started working at an international bank as a corporate finance lawyer when she was 22. Over the next ten years, she went back to school, passed the bar, worked at an international law firm, and then moved on to a smaller firm. However, at several points throughout this journey, Sandrine felt unhappy, unfulfilled, and miserable. She moved to different firms and went to therapy, but she still knew that she needed to make a change — so she booked a flight to Bali.
“Everything was in place and I was not happy. I started to think that I was completely crazy.”
This trip changed Sandrine’s life forever. She participated in a retreat, learned how to surf, and discovered the power that a smile can have. It’s almost like an “Eat, Pray, Love” story but with a French ex-lawyer as the protagonist. For the past two years, she has been based in Bali, where she has built her online business helping others find what makes them smile, and find how to turn that smile into a career.
“Femininity is, more and more for me, an act of balance… I can be brave and smart and strong and emotional.”
“We don’t ask ourselves when we are young what we actually enjoy doing…What makes us smile? It’s such an important question.”
Tools & Resources Mentioned
- Evernote – Capture, organize, and share notes from anywhere. Your best ideas are always with you and always in sync.
- Google Keep – Quickly capture what’s on your mind and get a reminder later at the right place or time. Speak a voice memo on the go and have it automatically transcribed. Grab a photo of a poster, receipt or document and easily organize or find it later in search. Google Keep makes it easy to capture a thought or list for yourself, and share it with friends and family.
- Medium – A place to read, write, and interact with the stories that matter most to you. Every day, thousands of voices read, write, and share important stories on Medium.
- Scribd – Scribd brings together the best books, audiobooks, and journalism to help readers become their best selves.
People/Blogs to Follow
- Knowmads – Knowmads is a creative business school offering a 6-month co-creative learning journey for students ready to explore the positive difference they can make in the world. A Knowmad is a nomadic knowledge worker, a creative, imaginative and innovative person who can work with almost anyone, anytime, anywhere. Knowmads students come from all over the world to learn, to get to know themselves, uncover their strengths and become leaders and pioneers of positive change.
- The School of Life – The School of Life is devoted to developing emotional intelligence. We address such issues as how to find fulfilling work, how to master the art of relationships, how to understand one’s past, how to achieve calm, and how better to understand the world.
- The Happy Startup School – A growing community of people on the path to creating a company or job that makes people want to jump out of bed in the morning. Whether you want to start a business, change career or lead from the heart, the experiences and programs will help you get clear and make that shift, with the help of the amazing humans you’ll meet in the community. This is the school that they always wanted – where happiness, not money, is the driver.
- The Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron – The Artist’s Way is the seminal book on the subject of creativity. An international bestseller, millions of readers have found it to be an invaluable guide to living the artist’s life. Still as vital today—or perhaps even more so—than it was when it was first published twenty five years ago, it is a powerfully provocative and inspiring work.
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey – Dr. Covey’s 7 Habits book is one of the most inspiring and impactful books ever written. Now you can enjoy and learn critical lessons about the habits of successful people that will enrich your life’s experience. And, it’s in an inforgraphics format that makes it easy for you to learn and apply Dr. Covey’s habits of successful people.