#19 | Feel The Fear, Revamp Yourself & Thrive with Willo Sana
About This Episode
Tim Ferris had been seen wearing a T-shirt designed by Willo Sana (previously known as O’Brien) during her designer career and running one of her businesses. An internet veteran and serial entrepreneur, Willo’s founded several creative businesses, served as co-founder of two startups, produced a video series, and launched multiple e-courses and high-level training inspiring ambitious, purpose-driven individuals to thrive in all areas of their lives. The foundation of Willo’s work is clarity, courage, and compassion–empowering visionary entrepreneurs to birth their big ideas into the world.
On this episode Willo shares the formula of how to step into your power, stop wasting your time and start doing the work you’re truly meant to be doing. If you’re looking for inspiration for the New Year or want to start a new project which is your true calling, this episode is for you.
“Struggle is optional; it means you are resisting something.”
We also talk about how it feels to shed your skin and step into the new YOU with power and confidence. How to identify your true calling and how it feels when it has arrived. Willo says this experience will feel painful if you ignore your calling. And it can be terrifying because it can mean many changes and interferences with your relationships and your life.
How do we keep going when we feel disconnected, scared and like we’re not enough? It’s an uncomfortable metamorphosis, a cocoon that you are about to get out of (hopefully.) Willo advises genuinely feeling it and not being scared, but instead finding compassion and patience with yourself. Your inner critic has its own thing to say all the time, but the wise woman within you has to recognize that and take a step back.
“Femininity is that garden with beautiful, captivating flowers that no passerby can resist but stare at and admire.”
“You need to have your boundaries so that not everyone can cross the fence over and invade your garden. You have to both protect your body and your energy, soul, time, mind.”
Your body processes things slower, while our minds are so fast. We get sick, exhausted, get heartaches, digestion problems, they all require patience and compassion to heal. Allow yourself to rest. The power of sisterhood is so important. Let your wild woman cry. We have to allow ourselves to go through whatever we’re going through without trying to desperately fix how we feel right away.
If you feel burnout, fully accept it and allow it to happen. Take a day off, rejuvenate, do something that you love. Find out whether you can avoid some of the situations that make you feel a certain way. Learn to say NO if you have to. Like in dating, let it be a fun experiment. Ask yourself: is there pressure, is there support?
“Your calling is knocking on your door for a reason. Trust yourself and try it.”
Remember that you are here for a reason – doubting it or feeling scared isn’t a solution. Have more of a trusting relationship with yourself. Call for support if you need to.
Tools & Resources Mentioned
- Trello – A web-based project management application. Whether it’s managing a team, writing an epic screenplay, or just making a grocery list, Trello is your sidekick for getting things done and staying organized.
- Slack – Slack is where work flows. It’s where the people you need, the information you share, and the tools you use come together to get things done. Slack is a cloud-based set of team collaboration tools and services.
- Buffer – A simpler and easier way to schedule posts, track the performance of your content, and manage all your accounts in one place.
- Copied for iOS – Automatically save everything you copy or use per-application rules to whitelist or blacklist certain apps. Control the app without switching away from your current app with hotkeys. Organize your clippings in lists. Sync everything on iCloud, and update your clipboard from another device.
- Just Press Record for iOS – The ultimate mobile audio recorder bringing one tap recording, transcription and iCloud syncing to all your devices.
People/Blogs to Follow
- Kyle Cease – With two #1 Comedy Central specials to his credit, comedian, and transformational speaker Kyle Cease is a New York Times, USA Today, and Wall Street Journal Bestselling Author, igniting sold-out audiences at his Evolving Out Loud events with his unique blend of comedy and personal evolution.
- Bob Hannemann – Willo introduces you to her online fitness coach, Bob, who works exclusively with badass women like us who are ready to get more fit and strong (in whatever way that means for you!) With Bob she feels like she has a true partner in helping her achieve her fitness goals. Bob tracks her progress and plans their workouts. He knows what areas she wants to improve, where she may have injuries, and what areas need more attention for her strength and flexibility.
- Tara Brach – Leading western teacher of Buddhist (mindfulness) meditation, emotional healing, and spiritual awakening. She is the author of Radical Acceptance (2003), and True Refuge (2013). A senior teacher at the Insight Meditation Community of Washington D.C. (IMCW), Tara shares a weekly talk on Buddhist teachings and practices.
- RobCast with Rob Bell – Author of ten books, including the New York Times Bestsellers What We Talk About When We Talk About God, The Zimzum of Love, Love Wins and What Is the Bible? His podcast, called the RobCast, was named by iTunes Best of 2015. He’s been profiled in the New Yorker, toured with Oprah, and in 2011 Time Magazine named him one of the 100 Most Influential People in the World. He has a regular show at Largo, the legendary comedy and music club in Los Angeles, where he lives with wife Kristen and their three kids.
- On Being with Krista Tippett – Takes up the big questions of meaning with scientists and theologians, artists and teachers — some you know and others you’ll love to meet. Each week a new discovery about the immensity of our lives — updated every Thursday. Hosted by Krista Tippett. Discover more at onbeing.org. On Being Studios is the producer of On Being, Becoming Wise, Creating Our Own Lives, and more to come.
- The Accidental Creative with Henry Todd – With millions of downloads, the Accidental Creative podcast has provided weekly tips and interviews with top thinkers, leaders, and artists for over a decade.
- “The One Thing” with Geoff Woods – Discover the surprisingly simple truth behind extraordinary results. Learn how the most successful people in the world approach productivity, time management, business, health and habits with the ONE thing.
- “Start Where You Are: A Guide to Compassionate Living” by Pema Chodron – An indispensable handbook for cultivating fearlessness and awakening a compassionate heart. With insight and humor, Pema Chödrön presents down-to-earth guidance on how we can “start where we are”—embracing rather than denying the painful aspects of our lives. Pema Chödrön frames her teachings on compassion around fifty-nine traditional Tibetan Buddhist maxims, or slogans, such as:”Always apply only a joyful state of mind,” “Don’t seek others’ pain as the limbs of your own happiness,” and “Always meditate on whatever provokes resentment.”
- “The Universe Has Your Back: Transform Fear to Faith” Gabrielle Bernstein – Gabrielle teaches readers how to transform their fear into faith in order to live a divinely guided life. Each story and lesson in the book guides readers to release the blocks to what they most long for: happiness, security, and clear direction. The lessons help readers relinquish the need to control so they can relax into a sense of certainty and freedom. Readers will learn to stop chasing life and truly live.
- “The Big Leap: Conquer Your Hidden Fear and Take Life to the Next Level” by Gay Hendricks – The New York Times bestselling author of Five Wishes, demonstrates how to eliminate the barriers to success by overcoming false fears and beliefs. Fans of Wayne Dyer, Eckhart Tolle, Marianne Williamson, and The Secret will find useful, effective tips for breaking down the walls to a better life in The Big Leap.